No doubt you’ve heard everyone talk about digital marketing in the last few years. It’s been around for a while, but people have only really understood the benefits in the previous five or so years. If you don’t know what we’re talking about, then you need to know!
The world of business/marketing is changing, and you must stay up with the trends. To help you out, here’s our simple definition of digital marketing:
What is digital marketing?
Essentially, digital marketing is any form of marketing or advertising that uses digital channels to each audience members. This includes both the internet and many other types of digital media/technology. It represents a shift away from some of the more traditional marketing methods like print advertising, word of mouth, and so on.
There are many forms of digital marketing
We find that digital marketing is such a broad term nowadays. One common mistake is assuming that it only refers to online marketing methods – like social media and SEO. In reality, there are many forms of digital marketing, which are sometimes referred to as digital marketing channels.
Below, you’ll see what many consider to be the main types of digital marketing:
- SEO: this involves using search engines to promote your business by making yourself more visible. You try and reach the most prominent ranking spots, which increases the chances of someone clicking your links.
- Social Meda: We’ve got blog posts on this that go into it in more detail, but it’s mainly the use of social media platforms to achieve your marketing goals – e.g. more web traffic.
- Email Marketing: A popular method of digital marketing that involves creating mailing lists and sending out targeted marketing material to different people. It’s proven to be an effective way of generating leads or influencing sales.
- PPC: A type of digital advertising where you create adverts that are placed around the web. It’s a bit more complicated than this, and we’ll maybe go into more depth at a later date!
- Content Marketing: Creating content that you use on your website or social media to engage customers and draw them into your business.
- Mobile Marketing: Using mobile devices to market or advertise your business, one example is sending out promotional messages to your contacts that they receive on their devices. Also, this includes creating apps to help market your business as well.
- Interactive Advertising: This is where people use their digital devices to engage with your advertising content. One example is displaying an advert at a bus station where people need to scan a QR code to see the content. It can often blend both traditional and digital into one.
There are lots of other types of digital marketing that you can utilize as well. It’s such a vast space that we just can’t discuss them all. But, the main takeaway is that digital marketing is where you use different digital channels or mediums to promote your company.
It’s essential that you create a digital strategy that’s proven to work and won’t cost a fortune. At Pivotal New Media, we can help you do just that. Contact our team today, and we’ll work on building the ultimate digital marketing strategy that will boost your business and help generate new leads and sales opportunities.